In this course you will learn about a problem-solving methodology called root cause analysis (RCA). We will look at what root cause analysis is and in what kinds of situations it can be useful. You will explore and practice methods for carrying out a root cause analysis and think about how it could be applied in your day-to-day work. You will come to understand what factors contribute to an effective root cause analysis and what the limitations of this tool might be.
Check out this video (2 min) which offers an overview of root cause analysis and root cause identification.
By the end of this course, you will understand the following:
- What root cause analysis is and in what situations it can be useful
- Methodologies for carrying out a root cause analysis
- What factors contribute to an effective RCA and the limitations of this particular tool
- Situations in the workplace where RCA might be effectively applied
- Simple real-life situations where RCA can be effectively used
Study Guide (Optional)
We know that different people like to learn in different ways. If you like to write notes as you work through a course, here’s a handy study guide (.PDF) for you, in printable or “fillable” form. Use the printable version if you would like to print out the study guide and write down your notes. Or, if you prefer to use a PDF reader you can take notes on your favorite handheld device using the “fillable” version.