Barriers to Listening
There are certain barriers that hinder effective listening and being aware of them will help you on the journey to becoming a world class listener. Six of these barriers are outlined below.
- Barrier One: No Access to Tone of Voice, Facial Expressions, or Body Language
- Barrier Two: Knowing the Answer (or thinking you do!)
- Barrier Three: Trying to be Helpful
- Barrier Four: Trying to Influence or Impress
- Barrier Five: Forgetting that the Same Word can mean Different Things to Different People
- Barrier Six: Listening for the Forest and the Trees